Serving both the city of Savannah and Hilton Head Island, the Savannah/Hilton Head International Airport lies to the north-west of the Central Business District. Despite its name, it does not have any regular commercial flights outside of the country, with most flights to cities along the East Coast or in the Southern United States.
Savannah/Hilton Head International Airport operates from two runways, including the only runway in the United States with marked gravestones on it. There is a single terminal building with 15 gates and a visitor’s centre located within the baggage claim area for information about travel to both Georgia and South Carolina. United Express, Delta Connection and American Eagle all offer flights from the airport, together with Allegiant Air and JetBlue Airways, with major destinations including Atlanta, Charlotte, New York City and Dallas/Fort Worth. International flights to Mexico and the Caribbean were previously scheduled with Key Airlines, while seasonal flights are available to Toronto, Canada. Savannah/Hilton Head International Airport also functions as a military airport and serves as a base for the Georgia Air National Guard's 165th Airlift Wing, together with being the world headquarters of jet aircraft manufacturer Gulfstream Aerospace.
Public buses connect the Savannah/Hilton Head International Airport with locations across the Savannah area, while door-to-door hotel shuttles are provided for both the city and Hilton Head Island. Taxis stop outside the lower level of the terminal building, and rental cars are available from numerous agents within the baggage claim area.
The first commercial airport to service Savannah was opened in 1929 and renamed Hunter Field in 1932, with initial flights between New York City and Miami with Eastern Air Express. The current airport near Cherokee Hill was built in response to an increased military presence in the city and served as a training and bomber base during World War II as Chatham Field. It was later renamed Travis Field and then Savannah International Airport, before taking on its current name in 2003.