The second largest state university in Bavaria, the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg serves a student body of nearly 40,000. Its grounds in the town of Erlangen are quite beautiful with designs spanning the centuries. The university holds five faculties in Engineering, Medicine, Sciences, Business, Economics Law, Humanities, Social Sciences and Theology.
Housed in the magnificent Schloss Erlangen, the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg has plenty of architectural attractions. The palace’s formal gardens are an especial point of interest, particularly the 19th century Orangerie with its fantastic music hall and organ. The university is also responsible for maintaining the Botanischer Garten Erlangen, a two-hectare botanical garden filled with 4,000 species of plant.
The University of Erlangen-Nuremberg’s campus is immediately adjacent to the Erlangen S-Bahn stop, served by the regional transit system. It is around a 30-minute ride north from central Nuremberg.
Though it has been in Erlangen since 1743, the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg was originally founded in 1742 in Bayreuth. It was a Protestant institution at first but is no longer religiously affiliated. Other historic milestones include moving into the Schloss Erlangen in 1825 and establishing an engineering school in 1966.